Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Taken By Storm: When good intentions go wrong

I finished a newly released e-book called Taken By Storm by first time author Marie Rochelle a few nights ago. I was intrigued by the synopsis I read, but what held me back from actually purchasing the story was the publisher. This publisher has a history of just bad practices in terms of editing and the price of their stories. Months ago, after purchasing a story that was 80 pages for $5.99, I pledged an oath to never, EVER buy anything from them again.

The friend who sent me this story told me that it wasn't good, that the heroine was weak, but I refused to let her opinion sway me. The story was approximately 367 pages (should have stopped at about 100-150 for sure) and besides it being unnecessarily long, unbelievable and having a weak, pathetic excuse for a "strong black woman" as the main female character, the lack of editing killed what little respect I had for the story. I feel bad for the author because she at least attempted to tell and sell a story, but for the publisher to release it with extensive (and I do mean EXTENSIVE) grammatical errors, my oh my, what a horrible error in judgment..

I've read posts from folks who stopped reading the story because of the horrid editing. It's a real shame that a first time author will receive the brunt of the criticism for something her publisher should have and could have prevented. Not every story I've read has been a winner, but this one stands out because it really lacked character development, believability and those damn editing (or lack of) mistakes.

Apparently, the publisher (OMP) will re-release the story once it completes a thorough editing sweep, but the damage is already done. For shame OMP, for shame.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Thanks for the warning Nay. I'll be sure to avoid that publisher.

That's just so sad for all the writers that go through them.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home